Thank you for your interest in my workshops and events. You can sign up for my mailing list and I will send you notices about upcoming events. Click here to sign up.
I teach hands-on classes and you make art the entire time. I begin with an overview of the process and do quick mini demos throughout the workshop to keep the process going. The first day we work with the clay, the second day we paint our dried pieces. I pass out a step-by-step instruction sheet to help you remember the process. People work at different speeds, but usually take home 1-2 finished pieces per 2-day workshop. This is a fun, flexible and forgiving process that can be easily learned by beginners and advanced students alike. It is new to everyone.
I like using my paper clay process to teach art because it involves designing, drawing, sculpting, and painting, all within one project. It is so flexible that anything can be changed, reworked, patched, added to, removed, repaired, and repainted. People love it.
I also teach a Torn Paper Collage class called Everyday Saints. See my gallery for examples.
UPCOMING EVENTS, WORKSHOPS AND DEMONSTRATIONS
Small Works Show at Framin' Artworks in Eugene: This is a specially curated invitational show at a frame shop and gallery in Eugene. It is replacing the annual "Small Pleasures Show" that was at the Jacobs Gallery, and all work must be 12" and under. Sneak Preview, Saturday, Nov. 26, 10 - 5pm, Opening Reception, Saturday, Dec. 3, 3 - 7pm. 460 Coburg Rd, Eugene, OR Show runs through Jan 7, 2017.
Paper Clay Workshop In Brownsville, OR: Jan 20–21, 2017 Fri–Sat, 10 am–4 pm We will be working with birds at this special workshop at the Brownsville art center. The fine members of the Brownsville Art Association reached out to me to teach this one last workshop in Oregon this winter. So if you were wanting a winter workshop to kick start your art making for the new year, this is it! More information here.
Paper Clay Workshop In Mendocino: Feb 10–12, 2017 Fri–Sun, 9:30am–4:30pm I am creating a very special workshop for this very special place. I will be a Visiting Artist for the month of February! Get more information here.
Art Immersion Oaxaca March 17-26. Join me for 10 fun filled creative days at this fun art retreat in Oaxaca, Mexico! Hosted by my good friend, and cultural curator, Jewel Murphy, this will be a fabulously fun trip with an emphasis on art making. We will be staying at a wonderful hacienda in the middle of town where we will be well taken care of so we can just focus on immersing ourselves in art. Paradise!!! Get information here.
A WORKSHOP IN YOUR AREA?
If you know of nice venues in your area, please let me know what they are. I can come to your area and teach workshops for a minimum of 12 people. Contact me with your ideas.
MY GENERAL SUPPLY LIST:
Specifics depend upon the workshop, but this is generally what you will need:
• One 8x10 wooden cradled panel or stretched canvas
• 8 oz package of Creative Paper Clay® available at most art supply and craft stores (no other brand please)
• Elmer's glue (small container)
• X-acto knife
• Pencil, eraser
• Ball point pen
• Black fine point marker
• Acrylic liquid medium (NOT GEL), gloss and matte (small amounts)
• Gesso (small amount)
• 2 Plastic containers for water and mixing
• A palette for acrylic paint
• Rolling pin or something that will work as a roller
• Tape like masking or Magic
Don't buy student grade paints. They will not give good results for this process. Do bring what you have. From the following list of colors, you can mix many others. (I recommend tube paints over bottled acrylics.) M. Graham is an Oregon company making great acrylic paints that I prefer.
Minimally, you will need
• Ivory black
• Titanium white
• A rose/magenta color (like Quinacridone Rose, by M. Graham)
• A yellow color (like Azo yellow, by M. Graham)
• A cyan color (like Phthalocyanine Blue, by M. Graham)
• Paint brushes for acrylics in a variety of sizes and shapes. One should be soft and wide for painting all-over finishes. Have at least one good small detail brush, (like a 0 sable watercolor brush) and others such as #2 or #4 flat, a #6 flat or filbert, and a #6 round.
• Any tools for carving, stamping or imprinting into clay that you might have. (I provide some).
• Hair dryer to speed drying times
MATERIALS PROVIDED BY INSTRUCTOR (usually for an extra materials fee)
• Tracing paper for sketching designs
• Carbon paper for transferring images
• Plastic sheeting for clay work
• The loan of wooden clay tools, plus other tools for imprinting the clay
• Alcohol solvent
• Colored tissue paper, book papers and glue
• A take-away instruction booklet
• Patterns for all clay work
P A S T W O R K S H O P S :
Paper Clay/Mixed Media Workshop:
OREGON COLLEGE OF ARTS AND CRAFTS in Portland, OR. June 11-12, 9-4. This will be my first time teaching at this beautiful campus. Large sunny classrooms surrounded by galleries and lots of creative energy...how can you go wrong? For more information and to register: Click Here
Paper Clay FUNdamentals Workshop:
April 23-24, 9:30-4:30 with an hour break for lunch
At The Lincoln Gallery OSLP Arts & Culture Program 309 W. 4th Ave. Eugene 97401
Part of your tuition helps support this wonderful organization
Includes some supplies plus an
illustrated take-away instruction booklet
Register at: http://www.artsandcultureeugene.org/spring-paper-clay.html
Join me to learn the basics of this new medium. Paper clay is a fun, flexible and forgiving art form that lets you make art that jumps right off the page. On Day 1, you will learn the basics of paper clay work with an emphasis on designing a composition, sculpting forms and developing details. Using a series of small exercises, you will create elements to incorporate into a larger finished piece by layering and adhering wet and dry clay to a board. On Day 2, learn acrylic painting, finishing and collage techniques as you take your project to completion. The result is a wood-carved effect that will leave people wondering how it was made. This unique and innovative process is perfect for beginning and advanced students alike. I will provide patterns for all elements.